Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Old 2600G Bridge Mode

• mrd-thfc
  • Topic Author
More
12 Sep 2012 09:12 #73464 by mrd-thfc
Old 2600G Bridge Mode was created by mrd-thfc
Hi All,
I have an old 2600G that I want to use as a basic hub. Main router located in the front room and I have a CAT5 running up to the back bedroom which is now an office. I want to use the 2600G upstairs as a hub to provide 4 ports [3 ports if I exclude inbound from other router]. I have tried multiple times to configure it however I only ever got it working once for about 30 seconds [ping successful to Google] however it soon stopped.

There is TCP/IP Lan config as well as Internet Connection configuration and I think I have tried all combinations. I see Bridge Mode in PPOE however what else needs configuring as it does not appear to be that simple :) I have also searched in vain for user manuals or config setup guides.

All I need is it to act as a hub [possibly wireless extender but thats another challenge]. Any guidance [for a frustrated semi-techie] would be appreciated to help navigate the configuration screens for this great piece of kit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2012 12:10 #73480 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: Old 2600G Bridge Mode
I have done this with other routers and it should work with a 2600G. So here is my best, informed, guess (I may have missed something): -

• In "Internet Access Setup" disable "PPPoE / PPPoA" & MPoA

• In "Wireless LAN Setup" set as required but make sure it does not clash with any other wireless you have. Maybe disable the wireless to start off then re-enable later when basic wired is not acting up.

• Reset to default, QoS, VPN, VLAN, Firewall, NAT & anything else that looks customised

• Here's the important bit: In "LAN TCP/IP and DHCP Setup" Give it an IP address outside your main router's DHCP range, that does not clash with any other static address. EG. if main router is 192.168.1.1 then 192.168.1.2 may be suitable. Disable second lan address.
    Set the default gateway to the main router's address & the DNSs to whatever four lan uses (probably the main router's address too). THEN DISABLE DHCP you cannot have 2 dhcp servers on one LAN

That should do it. You will have to admin the 2600g via http://(ip-address) rather than any symbolic name that the manual may say, and only from the local LAN.

Essentially any small router is router + modem/wan port + wireless AP(opt) + ethernet switch + DHCP server in one box. To use as a wireless hub (AP) you just need to manually config the lan addresses and disable the DHCP & WAN then connect a LAN port to your main LAN.

More
19 Sep 2012 14:45 #73560 by w33jock
Replied by w33jock on topic Re: Old 2600G Bridge Mode
I'm trying to do the same thing but really need the wireless to work as the front of the house is a dead zone. Setup:

- 2800VG at back of house
- 2600G at front connected via powerline stuff

I've got the wired side working based on the above so that's fine. However, the wireless is really flakey and although phones etc will connect they drop off all the time and then have problems re-connecting. I've set up the wireless on the 2600 with the same SSID, password as the 2800 but changed the channel. Is this right / wrong is there anything else I should be setting differently the same.

Cheers

More
19 Sep 2012 16:37 #73567 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: Old 2600G Bridge Mode

w33jock wrote: I've set up the wireless on the 2600 with the same SSID, password as the 2800 but changed the channel. Is this right / wrong is there anything else I should be setting differently the same.

Not sure I have the full answer to this but you need to consider the channel carefully. 1,6 and 11 are the only truly independent channels ( or you could say 3 & 8 ) everything else overlaps. Also what are your neighbours on? Use a tool like inssider to see what's where and how strong. Take a look at the diagrams here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11 .

I don't think you can safely use the same SSID except with bridged WAPs because it all gets a bit confused. Put an a/b or 1/2 on the end of the SSID but set the keys all the same to make it a bit easier to set up on the clients.

More
20 Sep 2012 08:50 #73571 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: Old 2600G Bridge Mode
Using the same SSID is fine. I agree that you must use a different channel to the 2800 and that its best to do a survey first to find free channels. One other point though is the positioning of the units and ariels. Avoid putting them near large metal objects eg filing cabinets. Also remember that the signal radiates out in a donut shape from the arial top so positioning is important. Eg a vertically oriented arial will not give a good signal in the room immeadiatly above.

Howard

More
20 Sep 2012 13:27 #73576 by w33jock
Replied by w33jock on topic Re: Old 2600G Bridge Mode
thanks for the replies - i've sort of got it working on different ssids with the 2600 on channel 13 and 2800 on 9. Still don't get a very good reception upstairs with the 2600 installed where the 2800 used to be. I don't know if the 2800 outputs a stronger (?) signal or not but I'll try and swap them over tonight and see what happens. thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how I get on.

Moderators: ChrisSami