Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BT Infinity & Vigor 2802Vn

• glynh
  • Topic Author
More
12 Aug 2011 10:50 #69018 by glynh
BT Infinity & Vigor 2802Vn was created by glynh
Hi there,

I have done a search and it seems like my 2820 is compatible with BT Infinity.

My initial thoughts are to leave my existing ISP, O2 on WAN1 as is and run an ethernet cable from the BT Infinity vDSL modem to WAN2 on the DrayTek leaving the BT Home Hub 3 unused & sealed in its box.

I guess it would be easier to keep the O2 service for those existing web applications that currently use a specific external IP address but use the 40MB BT Infinity for most everything else or should I just specify which internal IP address will use it such as my main workstation, SmartTV and any other heavy-traffic device for example. Is this sort of config even possible?

I also have some questions regarding the setup of the 2820 to achieve this though;

1. WAN/General Setup/WAN2;
Most of these seem self explanatory but what should I set Physical Type and Load Balance to?

2. WAN/Internet Access/WAN2:
There are many options here spread across three tabs so any help would be much appreciated.

3.WAN/Multi-PVC's & Load-Balance Policy...where to start? :?

4. Anything else that might need to be setup?

BT Infinity on WAN 2 will obviously have a different external IP address so those applications currently using my O2 external IP address on WAN1 so will be unreachable. Either I change the config of the many, many applications that use the O2 address (nightmare - not the preferred option at this time) or as above I just specify which heavy-traffic devices have access to WAN2

I would be grateful for any help/hints/tips/recources & gotcha's of configuring my 2820 to use BT Infinity from anybody who might have already trodden this path...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2011 11:17 #69110 by cjg2004
Replied by cjg2004 on topic Re: BT Infinity & Vigor 2802Vn
I had my 2820N running on BT Infinity for a while on WAN2 with no issues at all, I've not switched to a 2750 however as the issues I did get were with the rhubarb Huawei VDSL modem which Openreach are installing, I have good evidence they are experiencing a high failure rate of these modems and are causing lots of Openreach engineer callouts to swap the modems out.

Aside from anything its just not ideal running 2 devices especially when one is as flaky as the Huawei.... If you do stick with the Huawei modem, wall mount it and ensure it gets well ventilated as they cook themselves in no time (dont leave it flat on carpet etc)

For setup of a 2820 you need to set it to PPPoE for auth type and just put in bthomehub@btbroadband.com with no password and it should work fine when using the modem.

If you go the 2750 route there is a useful guide on here to get this running but you do need your actual dialup details for this to work and not the generic login as above.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami