DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

V2700 with Intel 5300AGN WiFi Problems?

• rhubarb
  • Topic Author
More
27 May 2009 13:29 #56062 by rhubarb
Hi

I have a Draytek V2700G running 2.8.2_131701 firmware. I've been using it with an Intel 3465ABG wireless client for some time now and have had little WiFi trouble other than the odd re-connection every few hours.

I've recently updated to an Intel 5300AGN client and I am now finding that the wireless connection is dropping completely or showing 'limited connection' every few minutes - it rarely holds up for more than 10 minutes. I'm using the latest Intel drivers (v12.4.0.21) with the client and nothing else has changed other than swapping the card in the laptop. Swapping back to the Intel 3465ABG (which uses the same drivers) solves the problem.

I have the option to connect to a neighbour's WiFi (with his permission!) and the connection seems to be far more stable when connected to his router (Zyxel Prestige 660HW) than with the V2700.

Both connections are using WPA2 PSK.

Is anyone else experiencing problems using an Intel 5300AGN with a V2700G?

Cheers - Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2009 10:37 #56124 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic V2700 with Intel 5300AGN WiFi Problems?
Andy, I have a 3954ABG working with the same intel drivers, and that too is stable. I don't have the newer client card to try, but I'll take a look at work on Monday to see if I can see one to borrow.

Have you made sure you have roaming aggressiveness turned all the way down in the intel driver config for the new card?

Also, I have a slightly newer firmware (its been stable for me for a couple of months) I would have sent it but couldn't find you email address. If you want it just email me and I'll send it back.

• rhubarb
  • Topic Author
More
31 May 2009 22:07 #56134 by rhubarb
Replied by rhubarb on topic V2700 with Intel 5300AGN WiFi Problems?
Hi Lorien. :)

Yep, I've got Roaming Aggressiveness turned to 'Lowest'. I've tried messing with the various settings in the Intel driver panel with little change. I have since noticed that the problem varies between reconnecting every 10 minutes or so but sometimes it holds up for an hour or longer. I also noticed that it is less likely to drop if the connection is being used continuously. The other thing I'm unsure of is which 'layer' is failing. I don't know too much about the wireless protocol but the problem I'm seeing is not necessarily a wireless reconnection, it might be a failure at the encryption level because what I see most often is a drop to limited connectivity and then a reconnection. When I get chance (a bit busy at present) I'll try setting up an open connection and see if it still drops periodically.

I installed Netstumbler the other night, there was a weak signal on the channel I was using (1) and then a gap up to 7 with various other channels in use up to 11 (my neighbour). I've now changed my set up to use channel 4 and things seem a little better. I'm also playing with a wireless N AP at present which seems to work very well and provides a stable connection. I'd like to get the V2700/5300AGN problem sorted though (if there is one).

I'll sent you an email for the firmware.

Cheers - Andy

Moderators: ChrisSami